Thursday, January 19, 2006

Hummus

A year or so ago, I got my sister and myself copies of "The What Would Jesus Eat? Cookbook." She found a fast and easy recipe for hummus, and I changed it slightly to fit time constraints.

1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup tahini (scant) (tahini is like peanut butter, only made with sesame seeds)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 t. minced garlic or garlic powder
Juice of 2 med. lemons (I use the equivalent measure of the bottled stuff)
1/2 t. sea salt
1/2 t. cumin

Whirl the beans until finely chopped in a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend well. Hummus will have a fine texture. Place in airtight container in the refrigerator or serve immediately. Keeps about 5 days in the fridge.

I like this on Wheat Thins or Triscuits, with veggies, or with Middle Eastern dishes. I'm pretty well addicted to this.

1 comment:

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Ohhhh...sounds yummy! I'll have to make that sometime soon.