Saturday, July 08, 2006

Two-Tomato Pasta

This is the companion side dish for the Basil Pork Chops (see post below). Lest I become redundant, this recipe is also from Simple & Delicious--the latest issue.

This recipe is good, but it needs something. The flavor is delicious. I think that it needs to be baked with some mozzerella cheese on top. Thats what I'm doing with the leftovers, since the recipe makes 9 servings.

Takes about 25 minutes to prepare!

Cook according to package directions:
8 oz. uncooked bow tie pasta (I used a whole box--12 oz since I hate to have half boxes of pasta open in my cupboard.)

Meanwhile (back at the ranch, er....stove):
Saute till tender:
1 T. olive oil
1/2 c. chopped onion (abt. 1/2 a large Vidalia)
2 t. minced garlic (be sure to reconstitute if you use dried, so it won't burn)

Mix till smooth:
2 t. flour
1 5 oz can of evaporated milk
Add to the onion/garlic mix, gradually. Bring to a boil, cook and stir until thickened, abut 2 min.

Add:
6 plum tomatoes, quartered
2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
(I used what I had available, which were Roma's. I diced them instead of quartering.)

Add:
1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Cook till all is melted, stir in pasta.

Sprinkle on top:
6 basil leaves, torn

Enjoy with the Basil Pork Chops.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Simple & Delicious is the new name for Quick Cooking---they also reformatted the magazine a little.
My mom sends me both Simple & Delicious and Taste of Home subscriptions as Christmas gifts every year. Such a wonderful gift!