Saturday, July 15, 2006

Baked Custard

What do you do with that last little bit of milk that is right at the pull-date or just after the pull-date? I usually make a baked egg custard. I always double the recipe--since I could eat the whole dish by myself. I usually make this once or twice a month, I've substituted that last little bit of half and half, the remnants of a can of evaporated milk left over from another dish, and even some heavy cream. I don't recommend making the whole thing with cream, as it is so very rich. A little goes a long way.

When I was little, Mom always made this when we were sick, but very seldom when we were not. Its still one of my favorite dishes.

Its very simple to make, delicious to eat, and soon you will have the recipe memorized like I do! I use the recipe in the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook (the red plaid one).

I usually let this cool before eating, but it is good a little warm too. Be sure to refrigerate leftovers. Good with fruit and muffins, or with some fruit pancake syrup.

I have a dish of this in the oven right now, and I can hardly wait to start eating!

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Place 1 1/2 or 2 quart casserole dish into a deep cake pan.

Beat (I use an electric hand mixer):
3 large eggs

Add:
1 1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar

Beat together with electric mixer, until mixed, but not foamy. Pour into the casserole dish, and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon. Place in oven, (pull out the rack a little bit) and add hot or boiling water to the cake pan. Be sure it is level with the top of the egg mixture. This is a crucial step towards a very creamy custard.

Bake 50 - 60 minutes. Center will still be a little wobbly, you don't want to overbake the custard. Remove from oven and cool. I usually (very carefully) remove the whole pan to the counter and let it cool in the hot water for a while. Or you can just add the hot water to your sinkful of dirty dishes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was little, Mum always made 'junket' when we were sick, but very seldom when we were not. ;)

btw... I'm friend of Christine :)