Thursday, February 23, 2006

In Celebration Of: National Banana Bread Day

Yes, really....and in honor of that day, I made this lovely, wonderful Banana Pound Cake last week. I got the recipe from one of the last Taste of Home magazines...(this is our theme). It is super!!! I followed the recipe exactly, since I've never made many pound cakes. It was slightly crusty on the outside, dense and moist on the inside.

INGREDIENTS
3 teaspoons sugar plus 3 cups sugar, divided
1 cup butter, softened
6 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
GLAZE
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 teaspoons milk

SERVINGS
12-15

DIRECTIONS
Grease a 10-in. fluted tube pan. Sprinkle with 3 teaspoons sugar; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in bananas and extracts. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating just until combined. Pour into prepared pan (pan will be full). Bake at 325° for 75-85 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cake. Store in the refrigerator. May be frozen for up to 1 month. Yield: 12-15 servings.

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Looks yummy! I came across this recipe when I was looking for something fun to bake the other day. Decided on the lemon-thyme bread instead. I'll have to try it later.

Kathryn said...

I'll have to try the Lemon Thyme Bread next...I forgot about it. Right now I have a Strawberry Pound Cake in the oven for some guests that will be here this weekend. Gotta use my cakestand somehow!!

Mary Ann said...

Andy was just saying the other day that we haven't had cake in awhile, as in bundt cake or tall cake.:-)(I do make a lot of sheet cakes and bars) I have these beautiful cake stands and plates too that I haven't used much. And that's why I wanted the round layer cake pans!

Kathryn said...

I'm just hoping that ya'll will notice the beauty of the flower embossed cake stand, and close your eyes while savoring the delicious flavor....since it looks a little ratty--a goodly portion wanted to stay in the bundt pan. So I turned that side to the back and admired the front. It does taste good...and will be a good end to a dinner fit for kings--chicken in the crockpot!