Friday, April 21, 2006

Mom's Lasagna

This was our all-time favorite meal growing up. Mom's gotten rave reviews on this one from 100% Italian-Americans. If I am making this for company, I use a 9 x 13 pan, or 2 8 x 8 pans. Just for us two, I make 3 freezer meals out of it. I follow a hint found in a Taste of Home (last summer) and I make it in 3 breadpans. If you do it in 3 breadpans, then you need 11 lasagna noodles. I just cut off the ends and use them in the top layer of the last pan. If you need the breadpans, you can line them with foil, freeze and remove to a Ziploc bag. Be sure to wrap well if freezing.
This is an extra-special freezer meal. The meat sauce also can be made and frozen. It's good just as a pasta sauce. I also sometimes add a layer of pepperoni and I've been known to be really liberal with the mozzerella cheese.
I have modified the recipe slightly to accomodate my husband's dislike for ricotta or cottage cheeses.
Meat mixture:
1 lb. ground beef, brown and drain off grease.
Add:
1 clove garlic
1 T. dried parsley
1 T. dried basil
2 t. salt (I leave it out or cut it WAY back)
2 1/2 c. canned diced tomato (I use 2 cans, or use 3 cans for extra sauce)
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
Mix altogether and simmer for 1 hour.

Cheese mixture:
3 c. cottage cheese
2 eggs
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 T. dried parsley
1/2 c. parmesan cheese
1 lb. shredded mozzerella cheese (reserve 1/2 - 3/4 cup)
Mix altogether. I usually substitute 1 1/2 c. half and half for the cottage cheese and add another 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese, and 1 cup mozzarella cheese.

Cook according to package directons:
1 10 oz. pkg of lasagna noodles
Drain and toss with:
1 T. olive oil

Spray pan with cooking spray. Layer 1/2 noodles, 1/2 cheese mixture, an 1/2 meat mixture, then the rest of the noodles, cheese mixture, ending with the meat. Sprinkle with reserved cheese.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or if refrigerated, bake for 40 - 45 minutes.

No comments: