Saturday, May 20, 2006

Top-Of-The-Stove Cookies

These easy cookies were one of our favorites growing up. Mom loved them because they were un-sneakable...when taken off the waxed paper, they left a residue behind and all Mom had to do was look for the culprit with the chocolate on the corners of her lips. "None for supper for you!" she would say as she dished up poached fish, split pea soup or liver. (Obviously, not items on our favorites list.)

This is one of those fast recipes, and it is good to be prepared with all the ingredients beforehand. I also have waxed paper or foil spread out, ready on the counter or in a cookie sheet--ready to drop the hot mixture as soon as the oats are mixed in.

Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes: (I use a 6 qt. saucepot)

1/2 c. margarine
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
2 T. peanut butter

.Turn off heat and leave on the burner. Add:

3 T. cocoa
3 C. quick oats
1/2 c. nuts, coconut, raisins, etc (optional)
1 t. vanilla

Mix well with a wooden spool. Work quickly using 2 spoons or a cookie scoop and drop onto the waxed paper. Cookies will firm up as they cool. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.

Variation: Substitute 1T. peanut butter for the cocoa if you want an all peanut butter cookie.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Yummy! I made these not so long ago. They are soooo good! Funny about the split pea soup.... I think the only reason I love it now is because when I refused to eat it as a kid, she would bring it out all congealed and cold for the next meal. (No microwaves here, folks. Even if she would've had one she wouldn't have used it for stubborn daughters who wouldn't eat their soup!) I guess I learned to like it while it was hot and of a soupy consistency. It's one of my favs now.:-)

Kathryn said...

I like split pea soup now too...but I'll pass on the poached fish and the liver.

I remember when we got a microwave---Mom drove Dad to the airport to got Iowa to visit Grandma for the week and she then drove straight to Bi-Mart and bought herself a microwave. It was "revolutionary"!

I can hardly imagine what it was like without one...I'm just waiting on my year old one to finally die so I can get a microwave/convection oven combo.