Friday, September 15, 2006

Frugal Fridays: Yes, we have no bananas!

We love bananas so much here at our house that we buy bunches of them every week. I buy them green, they get to a very tasty yellow, and then the skins start getting bigger and bigger brown spots. Instead of wasting fruit, I like to take those very ripe bananas, peel and place in a ziploc bag. They reside in the freezer, ready for banana bread, banana oat pancakes, banana pound cake, or my current favorite---Banana Berry Smoothies!




Combine in blender:
2 frozen bananas, peeled and chunked
1 carton of yogurt, (we like strawberry)
A cup or so Triple Berry Blend frozen fruit (from Aldi--its blackberries, raspberries, & blueberries)
A cup or so frozen strawberries
1 t. vanilla
Pinch of stevia or 1/4 c. sugar
Milk (I use whole milk)

Blend all together, adding enough milk to make it a drinkable consistancy and enjoy! I For a special treat, they look very pretty with a swirl of whipped cream on top and an little paper umbrella!

Makes a blenderful!

Check out more Frugal Friday tips at Biblical Womanhood! Thanks, Crystal!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bananas bananas everywhere! We do this in our house, as well as my parents'. My parents' border collie, Bella and labrador, Deuce, are terrified of the fridge and freezer now because of my dad's tendency to freeze 'nanners' and stick them in the freezer door, only to come flying out the second the freezer is open....I think the dogs have gotten pegged too many times. ;)

They also freeze REALLY WELL in their skins...just hack off an end, and squeeze into your batter...no mashing required! :)

Anonymous said...

I freeze them too whwn the two year old hasn't eaten them all! The recipe looks yummy!

Mary Ann said...

I do this too, and often buy extra just so I have a few to freeze. Little One is right at the stage where "nanas" are his favored food item, so if he sees them around, he wants to eat one and can easily eat 2 whole ones at a setting.

Lady Why said...

I love to do this too! Isn't it the greatest?! I love to use them from smoothies and "ice cream" (smoothie without any liquid added) I usually buy bananas just for freezing but they are sweetest when you let them get good and ripe.

Great post!!

Crystal Paine said...

Great post!

When I can get bananas on sale for 15 cents a pound or less, I buy a lot of them and freeze them to use in banana bread or banana chocolate chip muffins.

Thanks for participating in our second Frugal Friday!

Crystal
http://www.BiblicalWomanhood.com

Overwhelmed! said...

I do this a lot, only I just throw them in the freezer, peelings and all. :) I use mine for smoothies, popsicles, and chocolate chip banana bread.