Sunday, May 21, 2006

Asparagus with Lemon-Dill Butter

I'm always looking for ways to make veggies more memorable. In my childhood I hated veggies, and never realized that they could be good. I knew they were good for me, but thats where it ended. Veggies were boiled with a little salt and seemed tasteless to me. I've experimented with several different kinds of veggies with this sauce and mushrooms and asparagus are the winners.

Melt in medium-hot skillet:
3 T. margarine or butter (some people substitute olive oil, but I like the taste of butter)

Add:
1 t. sea salt (to taste)
1 - 2 t. dill weed
2 T. lemon juice

Add:
1 lb. fresh or frozen asparagus, washed and trimmed

Saute until asparagus is tender but still bright green--about 5 minutes.

Variation: Use a container of button mushrooms, wash lightly and saute. Don't let them cook too long.

Enjoy!

I buy asparagus when it is on sale--I've been known to buy 5 - 10 lbs at a time. I take it home, wash it, then trim the ends. I let it dry an hour in the dish drainer or colander, and then put in gallon freezer bags. I pull out just what I need for a meal. I always buy the thinnest asparagus. They are so much more tender than thick, woody stalks.

No comments: