Sunday, May 21, 2006

Lemon Oat Bars

Another recipe that I tried yesterday--from the latest Simple & Delicious. No link in the title--this recipe is subscriber only. I will be honest with you, they are not paying me to say this, but it is worth the money to subscribe to their cooking magazines. Our Mom gets us subscriptions as a Christmas gift every year. I get Simple & Delicious, and Taste of Home. Every issue has at least 2 recipes that are keepers.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. old-fashioned oats (I used quick oats with good success)
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine 1st 5 ingredients.

2/3 c. butter (I used margarine)

Cut in butter until crumbly. Press 3 cups into a greased 9 inch square pan. Set aside remaining oat mixture. Bake at 350 degreese for 10 minutes.

1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 1/2 t. grated lemon peel (I used dried, and measured it out in a small bowl, and soaked it in3 t. hot water to make them soft. I did this first, before I started the oat mixture.)

In a small bowl, whisk last 3 ingredients together. Pour over hot crust. Sprinkle with the reserved oat mixture. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the edges are brown. Cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 9 servings. (Best cold and I would probably make 18 servings since these bars are really rich.)

No comments: