Sunday, May 21, 2006

Smothered Chicken Breasts

Last, night, I tried this recipe out of my latest Simple & Delicious magazine and it is incredible. Really good and really easy, just as promised. My little boy loved the chicken, I diced some up for him after it had cooked. I halved the recipe--it was really easy to do--because my husband won't eat chicken. Monday's lunch is assured to be yummy! I changed it slightly, as you can see if you click on the title.

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. lemon-pepper seasoning
1 T. olive oil

Sprinkle chicken with salt and lemon-pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 13 - 15 minutes or until juices run clear; removed and keep warm.

8 bacon strips

In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium hea until crips. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 T. drippings. (I took mine out of the freezer, since I keep pre-cooked bacon handy, and heated it up. I just added a little water while the onion cooked, since I had no drippings to speak of.)

1 medium onion, sliced
1/4 c. packed brown sugar

In the drippings, saute the onion and brown sugar until onion is golden.

4 slices Colby-Jack cheese (or 1/2 c. shredded)

Assembly: Place two bacon strips on each chicken breast half; top with carmelized onion and 1 slice of cheese. I put them back in a warmed oven to melt the cheese, while I fixed corn on the cob and set the table.

4 servings.

Menu Idea:
Smothered Chicken Breasts
Corn on the Cob or Asparagus
Spinach Salad
Lemon Oat Bars
Sweet Tea

No comments: